Sunday 23rd August
From 11:00 am
Open to players of all nationalities!
Played on BoardGameArena with chat available on the MSO Discord server
*** Note that the tournament information has been updated as of 09/08/2020. Due to high demand the tournament shall be split into two parts, a swiss followed by playoffs for those that qualify. The previously created BGA tournament will not be used and players will now be invited directly to join the BGA swiss tournament***
Full rules of the game can be found here
This tournament is open to all players, beginners and Carcassonne experts alike.
– 2 Player Games
– 7 Round Swiss
– Players with 6 wins or more advance to playoff
– Playoff is a single elimination bracket to determine a champion
Players must have a BoardGameArena premium account in order to enter. At the time of writing a one month premium subscription is available for £3.90. This will grant you access to all MSO events played on the BGA platform and supports the website that makes this tournament possible.
The swiss stage of the tournament shall be organised using the tournament feature on BoardGameArena. We shall also utilise the Mind Sports Olympiad Discord server, which enables us to use text & voice chat throughout the tournament (voice chat is optional). To join, please follow this link: https://discord.gg/mRhtB4M. Playoff matches shall be organised using our Discord server and played as custom matches on BoardGameArena.
Players who register on msoworld.com will be invited to join the tournament created on BGA for the swiss stage. These invites shall be sent approximately 48 hours prior to the tournament in an effort to minimise the numbers of players who register but do not show up for the tournament. There is no 100 ELO point requirement when you are invited to a tournament so as long as you are registered on msoworld you will be able to join.
Be aware that the BGA tournament system will run strictly to time, with each round commencing immediately once all games have been completed in the preceding round. Please ensure that you have accepted your tournament invitation prior to the published start time and that you are ready for the start of each round as the previous round comes to an end.
Please ensure you join the channel on time (refer to schedule) so that we can get everyone organised and to avoid disappointment.
Game Rule Clarifications
– No rivers or expansions
– Players draw a tile to play on their turn as per the printed rules (ie no 3 tile hand variant)
– Field scoring: Each field is worth 3 points per adjacent completed city
– Completed two tile cities are worth 4 points
– Clock rules: 22:30 minutes per player
Tiebreaks & Playoff
All players with 6 wins or more will qualify for the playoff to determine the top positions in the tournament. This playoff will be a single elimination bracket seeded based on the results of the Swiss and is expected to be approximately 3 rounds long.
Players are seeded based on the following criteria:
2. Sum of opponents scores (as shown by BGA)
3. Random draw / Shared positions
The higher seed in each match gets choice of whether they will play first or second (create the game in BGA and if the wrong player is playing first abandon and restart).
The use of any aids including but not limited to tile counting apps, scoring apps or otherwise is expressly forbidden. Any player found to be using an illegal aid shall be immediately dis-qualified from the tournament and potentially subject to further disciplinary action in accordance with the MSO rules and code of conduct. If in any doubt please ask on our Discord before you use something!
– Registration Opens: Now
– Registration Closes: Saturday 22nd August @ 23:59
– First Games Commence: 11:00
– Each subsequent round follows upon the completion of the last. If all matches finish early the next round will immediately commence.
– Round 4 will not start before 13:45 to allow time for lunch.
– Completion of Swiss Approximately: 16:30
– Completion of Playoffs Approximately: 19:00 (based on 128 tournament entrants)